"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" LdV

Saturday, 4 July 2015

EXPRESS LEMON MERINGUE PIE IN A GLASS...

EXPRESS LEMON MERINGUE PIE IN A GLASS...

I have a brand new kitchen in my house in the South of France. It is absolutely beautiful, the whole in red (you know this beautiful red with some blue hue in). There is a new oven as well. A kind of air forced one (it's not even a joke). It took me a while to domesticate this new beast. Even now, I do have trouble to adjust my recipes to its function.  The first bake I did was a lemon meringue pie : easy. But it did not work as intended. The pastry did not cook at all and it looks....horrible (but it tasted good, yes, but it looked awful). It was a pie without a pie...A quick search on my computer would certainly ceased my suffering : what could I do with a terrible lemon pie ? I had this answer : deconstructed it! Put it in a glass with a crumble on top or some biscuits ! Of course. So did I, I presented my lemon meringue pie in a very lovely glass with palets bretons (which are biscuits from Brittany). I just have this question, now, every time I cooked this tarte for my friends : "Why did you serve your lemon meringue pie in a glass Sixtine?" Aaaaargh!!!
You can find palets bretons or galettes (from the Bonne Maman brand), in any Waitrose, Sainsbury's or Whole Foods. If not, take any shortbread biscuits instead... 


Wine pairing : Muscat Vendanges Tardives (White) from Alsace.






EXPRESS LEMON MERINGUE PIE IN A GLASS...
A quick glance in your kitchen...

In your fridge
Lemons
Eggs
Butter

In your cupboard
Caster sugar
Corn flour
Icing sugar
Galettes Bonne Maman

EXPRESS LEMON MERINGUE PIE IN A GLASS...
Serves 4
2 lemons (zest + juice)
2 eggs
50g of butter
70g of caster sugar
1 generous tbsp of corn flour
2 egg whites
70g of icing sugar
8 Bonne Maman galettes

In a bowl, mix the sugar with the lemon zest and juice. Add the eggs.
Transfer this mixture in a little saucepan.
Fill a 1/3 of a large saucepan with water.
Put the little saucepan in the large one and cook it over a Bain Marie (a water bath), until the preparation has thickened.
Mix thoroughly.
Remove from the heat and add the butter, stirring well.
Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200° C.
Lined a baking tray with baking paper.
Using a food processor whip, beat the whites for 2 minutes.
Add gradually and slowly the icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
Distribute the meringue evenly over the lined baking tray.
Put the meringue in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
At the same time, roughly crumble 2 biscuits for each glass, then add a few spoons of the lemon curd.
Add a little bit of meringue on top.
Serve !

No comments:

Post a Comment