"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" LdV

Wednesday, 4 March 2015

REBLOCHON GOUGERES

REBLOCHON GOUGERES

To be honest with you, there is not one day passing for me without a little bite of cheese to eat. Imagine the feast when I am back in France. My friends and family always welcome me with my favorites and so the ritual is the same (from generation) : a single ticket to heaven. A fresh crusty "fagotte", my "fromage du jour" (cheese of the day) and a glass of 1 Grand Cru from my parents' cave (they have thousands...). So one day, back in London, I had a craving for Burgundian gougères (gougères made with Comté). But my supermarket didn't have some so I bought a nice piece of Reblochon instead : my gougères would not be Burgundian but from Savoie !!
Early in the history of gougères , (as you know, choux pastry may have been invented in the XVI century by Catherine de Medicis' italian cook, Popelini...),there was no cheese... You had to wait until the 19th century that artisans from Jura in France added their yummy Comté cheese to the dough...
Reblochon comes from Savoie. Its history began in the 13 century and Reblochon cheese was the result of an illegal practice. At that time, Farmer had to give their milk as a rent. They did an incomplete milking so they could kept a little bit for themselves. This second milking obtained was very rich, ideal for making cheese. The name came from this "fraud", called the "Rebloche"!
You can find Reblochon in large Tesco and Whole Food. 
I baked my gougères marvels with the skin ON. Remove the skin of the Reblochon if you prefer... 




REBLOCHON GOUGERES
A quick glance in your kitchen...

In your fridge
Eggs
Reblochon cheese
Butter

In your cupboard 
Flour


REBLOCHON GOUGERES
Around 32 gougères
250 ml 8,5 oz of water
3 eggs
150g 5,2 oz of Reblochon cheese (cubed)
70g 2,5 oz of butter
120g 4 oz of sift flour


In a saucepan, bring to the boil water and butter.
Remove from heat and dump all the flour in at once.
Stir rapidly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is like dough and pulls away from the sides of the saucepan.
Allow to cool for 2 minutes. 
Preheat the oven to 200° C.
Add the 3 eggs, one at a time, stirring continuously in the dough. 
Add the Reblochon, combining well. 
Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Using a tea spoon, scoop up a little mound of dough and scrape it off onto the baking paper.
Place the mounds evenly-spaced apart on the baking paper.
Bake for 15-20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment