"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" LdV

Wednesday, 18 March 2015

AGEN PRUNES WITH RILLETTES, WALNUT AND COGNAC

AGEN PRUNES WITH RILLETTES, WALNUT AND COGNAC

"Don't forget to bring some rillettes"... How many times did I hear this simple phrase when we traveled abroad to see some French friends when I was a little girl ? At some point, I thought to myself that maybe "Rillettes" had been made with a magical ingredient...Then I studied just near a French town famous for its....rillettes, so I became terribly addicted to them. When I moved to London I asked exactly the same request to MY friends visiting me "Bring some rillettes please". The day I found some at my deli, all the French community was alerted by it. So you will perfectly understand that for a buffet or an aperitif, there are ALWAYS rillettes on the table. This recipe with an Agen prune is so yummy. It came from a very old Elle magazine. 
Agen prunes come from my area : the Lot. It's during the twelth century, when they were back from the third crusade that the Benedictine monks of the Clairac Abbey (in the Lot valley), graft local plums with new plants from Syria : the plum Damascus. A new variety was created then called the Prune d'Ente (Ente means graft).
In 1709, after a terrible cold in winter, only the prunes from the Villeneuvois and Agen area survived...From then, Agen prunes will be known all over the world...!
Use any other dry prunes if you cannot find the Agen prunes...

Wine pairing : Cahors (Red) from The South West.





AGEN PRUNES WITH RILLETTES, WALNUT AND COGNAC
A quick glance in your kitchen...

In your fridge
Rillettes

In your cupboard
Agen prunes
Cognac
Ground walnuts

AGEN PRUNES WITH RILLETTES, WALNUT AND COGNAC
For 20 pruneaux 

20 Agen Prunes  (pitted)
200g 7,05 oz of rillettes (Pork, duck or geese)
2 tbsp of Cognac
50g 1,7 oz of ground walnuts

In a little bowl, mix with a fork the rillettes with the walnuts and the cognac.
Incise the prunes and stuffed delicately each one with a little bit of the rillettes preparation.
Voila!

1 comment: