"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" LdV

Monday, 23 February 2015

BUTTERNUT, TOMME DES PYRENNEES AND CINNAMON POTAGE

BUTTERNUT, TOMME DES PYRENEES AND CINNAMON POTAGE

Ah la la. I had a craving for.....butternut ! Strange isn't it ? Sure. And it is not really easy to find some right now and even though, I did not feel like to cut it. Lucky me, my Waitrose DOES frozen butternut squash. Check! I had to find what to do with my treasure then. The answer, helped by the chilled wind, materialized straight away to my mind : a soup or to be precise a potage. Apart from carrots, I was a little bit perplex on how to combine my butternut as I wanted something comfy but not heavy... I don't know how Tomme des Pyrénées came but it was worth it. I had the potage consistency I was looking for. Buuut...Yes, a little "quelque chose" was missing when I tasted it. A quick glance in my cupboard to resolve my dilemma and tadaaaah : a pinch of cinnamon balanced perfectly my concoction : the yummy potage was born...
Tomme des Pyrénées is a very interesting French cheese with a long history : back in the 12 century, our French King Louis VI "le gros" (the fat one...) tasted it when he came to visit the village of Saint-Girons... The Tomme at this time, was composed of 3 milks : cow, goat and sheep... The one proposed in this recipe is from cows' milk and you can find it in Large Tesco or Whole Food...

Wine pairing : Sancerre (White) from The Loire Valley.




BUTTERNUT, TOMME DES PYRENEES AND CINNAMON POTAGE
A quick glance in your kitchen

IN YOUR FRIDGE
Butternut squash (frozen for me)
Carrots
Tomme des Pyrénées

IN YOUR CUPBOARD
Red onions
Potatoes
Garlic
Ground cinnamon

BUTTERNUT, TOMME DES PYRENEES AND CINNAMON POTAGE
Serves 6-8


500g 17,5 oz of butternut squash (frozen for me)
270g 8,9 oz of carrots (cubed)
270g 8,9 oz of potatoes (cubed)
1 large red onion (cubed)
1 crushed garlic clove
1,5 L 52,5 oz of boiling water
1 vegetable stock
A pinch of ground cinnamon
200g 7 oz of Tomme des Pyrénées (cubed)

In a large saucepan, fry the red onion with the garlic, carrots and butternut in a little bit of olive oil for 3 minutes.
Add the potatoes, boiling water and the stock. 
Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
At the end of the cooking, blitz with a hand blender the mixture to create a potage.
Add the Tomme des Pyrénées.
Cook for a further 5 minutes stirring well to melt the cheese.
Serve and season with a pinch of ground cinnamon.
Miam yummy, it’s ready! 

No comments:

Post a Comment